Last updated on
Table of Contents
Moist chocolate cake packed with caramel is not only super easy to make, but it’s a chocolate lover’s dream. The combination of chocolate and caramel together is practically irresistible, making it the perfect dessert recipe for any occasion.
Crock-Pots aren’t just for stews and main dishes, they also make cooking a dessert easy and delicious. Making a homemade cake from scratch couldn’t be easier when you cook it in a slow cooker.
By cooking your cake in the Crock-Pot you also leave your oven open for cooking your dinner or baking another dish. Serve your cake for dessert after enjoying Mexican Beef and Rice Casserole or Baked Ziti. Of course, you could also mix things up and eat dessert first!
A delight in every bite, chocolate caramel cake is gooey, chocolatey, and scrumptious. Super easy to make you’ll want to serve it for birthday parties, date nights, dinner parties, or any other excuse to make a dessert.
Crockpot Chocolate Caramel Cake Ingredients
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Milk (2%)
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Milk chocolate chips
- Dulce De Leche
- Heavy cream (33%)
An already decadent dessert, chocolate caramel cake can be made even richer by serving it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. Or perhaps a topping of chopped nuts, like walnuts or pecans, crushed Oreo cookies, whipped topping, or mini chocolate chips.
Together the chocolate chips and Dulce De Leche make this cake incredibly moist, almost like a fudgy brownie. Make sure to serve while the cake is still hot or warm, while the caramel is perfectly gooey, for the most enjoyment.
Perhaps the most important step when baking in a slow cooker is to spray the inside of the Crock-Pot with nonstick cooking spray. You can also use a slow cooker liner and spray the liner with the non-stick spray if you want to make cleanup even faster.
How to Make Crockpot Chocolate Caramel Cake
FIRST STEP: Spray a 4 QT crock-pot with non-stick cooking spray.
SECOND STEP: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
THIRD STEP: Pour in milk, vegetable oil, vanilla, and stir well to mix.
FOURTH STEP: Stir in all chocolate chips.
FIFTH STEP: Pour into the prepared crockpot.
SIXTH STEP: In a microwave safe bowl, heat Dulce De Leche and heavy cream together in the microwave for 45 seconds. Stir well to combine.
SEVENTH STEP: Pour Dulce De leche mixture over the cake batter. DO NOT stir into cake batter, leave this sitting on the top of the batter.
EIGHTH STEP: Cover crockpot with lid and cook on high for 3 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
NINTH STEP: Serve cake hot or warm
Tip: Drizzle some chocolate syrup or melted chocolate chips over the cake if you want to overload on chocolate!
You can make your own Dulce De Leche using a 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk. Remove the label and place the UNOPENED can in a tall stockpot. Cover with water to about 2 inches above the can. Cover the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer. Simmer for 3 to 3 ½ hours. Let the can cool before opening.
You can substitute brown sugar for granulated sugar for an even darker, more caramel-like dessert.
If your slow cooker tends to burn in one spot, you can place aluminum foil over that spot and then line the entire bottom of the Crock-Pot with parchment paper. Simply throw the aluminum foil and parchment paper away when you are done cooking.
Storing this Recipe
AT ROOM TEMPERATURE: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
IN THE FREEZER: This cake doesn’t freeze well, so it should be stored in the refrigerator.
Crockpot Chocolate Caramel Cake
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk 2%
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 can Dulce De Leche 300 ml
- 1/3 cup heavy cream 33%
- Spray a 4 QT crockpot with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour in milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract then stir well to mix.
- Stir in all chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into the prepared crockpot.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat Dulce De Leche and heavy cream together in the microwave for 45 seconds. Stir well to combine.
- Pour Dulce De leche mixture over the cake batter. DO NOT stir into cake batter, leave this sitting on the top of the batter.
- Cover crockpot with lid and cook on high for 3 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Serve cake hot or warmTip: Drizzle some chocolate syrup or melted chocolate chips over the cake if you want to overload on chocolate!